Thursday, March 1, 2012

Ben Kweller "Jealous Girl"

"But what kind of music do you like?"

I get asked that question a lot. From folks who understand that the station's playlist is for listeners, that it is not just me playing songs I like.

I always make that restaurant analogy---I am your chef and server. I bring you the food that you ask for, food that I think you'll enjoy. I like most of the items on the menu (though not necessarily all). And I also, personally, like to eat things that aren't on the menu, stuff that I might have to go to another restaurant to eat.

So what kind of music do I like?

The first time I heard Barbara play Ben Kweller's "Jealous Girl" on "What's New For Lunch?" I told her, "If you ever wanted to know what a perfect songs sounds like to me . . . that was it."

Fuzzed out guitars, great energy, insanely-catchy-Ramones-worthy-vocal-hook ("Oh, oh, oh-oh!"), straight out of the same Zip Code as Matthew Sweet and Teenage Fanclub and The Posies.

"Jealous Girl" is like someone serving me a plate with chocolate chip cookies, freshly baked by my Mom.


Hear the song on Youtube.

1 comment: