Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Louis Armstrong "What A Wonderful World"

A good buddy of mine has a favorite song that he always wants me to play on the air.

Now, I love "What A Wonderful World" by Louis Armstrong. But it's not exactly in the wheelhouse of what we normally play.

He says, "Just play it, you know, once a month or something. People will love it!"

No, it's still not something we'd really play at mvy.

"Okay. You at least have to play it on my birthday."

A few years ago, I did an interview for the mvyradio Person Of The Week with a woman who runs a support group for people born, like my friend, on February 29th.

If you're initial reaction to the idea of a support group for Leap Day babies is, "that's ridiculous," well, I was with you at first.

But after speaking to her, I had compassion for her. I mean, to have someone at the DMV call you a liar because they think you are making up a fake birthday . . . that's kind of sad. (Hear the 3 minute interview in the mvyradio Archives)

So yeah, once every four years I play "What A Wonderful World."

Catch it at 4:50pm ET, today.

Happy Birthday, Mr. Robb!


Here's a cool version of the song, with a spoken intro by Armstrong.

Hear the song on Youtube.

No comments:

Post a Comment