Friday, March 9, 2012

R.E.M. "Nightswimming"

I remember really liking "Nightswimming" when "Automatic For The People" came out. I thought it was tender and beautiful.

But 20 years later, my feelings have changed (yes, this record is 20 years old!).

I've realized, I love it more.

The tune came on mvy one day when I was driving around, and as I sang along I could feel that the song was reaching me in a deeper place.

Why?

I think it's because the song is nostalgic, fondly looking back at youth, or at least a particular time. And at 23, I don't think I could have had the same sweet sense of nostalgia that I have now.

At 23, out of college and in the professional world, I missed my high school and college days. But missing that period in my life didn't evoke the same feelings that they do at 43, when I miss those days from such a distance, and with a great sense of wistfulness.

It's not like the song didn't effect me at 23. It certainly did.

But I guess you can't fully appreciate a song about nostalgia, until you are old enough to appreciate nostalgia itself.


Hear the song on Youtube.

No comments:

Post a Comment