Monday, January 9, 2012

New Radicals "You Get What You Give"

For the next couple of days, I thought it would be fun to write about a few tunes for a game I'd like to call:

"This is what it means if you hear that song on mvyradio."

There are a handful of songs, that, if I hear them on the station, I can tell you exactly what is going on behind the scenes. In the posts that follow, you'll look behind the curtain with me . . .

Over the weekend, I was posting about songs that mvyradio used to play, but doesn't have in regular rotation any more, because they don't seem to fit the sound anymore.

Barbara often points out, that back in the day, mvy used to play Anita Baker. Can you imagine? Anita Baker next to Death Cab For Cutie? It wouldn't work.

So, while a song might work in its day, some songs don't age with the station.

But if it was in rotation in the last 10 years, its probably accessible in the studio. And, as I often point out, just because we don't play it, doesn't make it a bad song and it doesn't mean we don't (or at least one of us doesn't) like it.

If I'm driving around and I hear the One Hit Wonder song "You Get What You Give" by New Radicals in the middle of the day, I can tell you a few things.

Barbara is on vacation.

Alison is filling in for Barbara on The Lunch Hour.

Nobody sent in an eQuest that day.

Occasionally, Alison, while filling in for Barbara, will get to the end of The Lunch Hour (which is supposed to end by playing an emailed-in request from one of our online listeners) without anything to play. So she'll pick a song herself.

She loves this song, and because it's not in rotation anymore, she doesn't really hear it.

So if you hear this one, know that it's probably Alison playing an eQuest to herself!

No comments:

Post a Comment