Thursday, January 12, 2012

Cheech & Chong "Santa Claus And His Old Lady"

For the next couple of days, I thought it would be fun to write about a few tunes for a game I'd like to call:

"This is what it means if you hear that song on mvyradio."

There are a handful of songs, that, if I hear them on the station, I can tell you exactly what is going on behind the scenes . . .


If you hear this song, you know it's about 10:30am on a weekday in December, and Laurel is smiling.

This Cheech & Chong track was a staple of our Christmas programming for years and years. It would go into regular rotation at the beginning of December, and get played every few days, through Christmas.

But like any novelty song, or joke, repeating it ad nauseum just makes it lose it's effect.

So a few Christmas seasons ago, I pulled it from the automatic rotation of our Christmas programming.

But I know this song is right in Laurel's wheelhouse. A vinyl-era, pro-pot, deeply silly, shaggy and loveable riff on the holiday.

So, once a year, I program it in to her show. I try to put it in the last hour of her shift, so the heft of the morning is behind her, she's not preparing for a Newscast or Live Acoustic And Covers or Musical Notes, and she has a few minutes to listen and laugh.


Hear the song on Youtube.

No comments:

Post a Comment