Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Camper Van Beethoveen "Pictures Of Matchstick Men"

For the first, I dunno, maybe 2 years of my daughter's life, we put on the same album every night. We had an iPod dock in the kids' room, and we'd bring up the playlist for "Bedtime With The Beatles."

It's an instrumental album, of lullaby-ish version of Beatles songs. Very pleasant, very well done.

I know that 20 years from now, even if she goes two decades without listening to a Beatles tune, that one day my daughter will hear the deep-cut "I'm Only Sleeping."

And she'll say, "I know this song. How do I know this song?"

She may not have any recollection of hearing it. But it's imprinted on her brain.

I'm guessing something similar happened to me.

I can't, for the life of me, figure out how I knew this song. My folks weren't Status Quo fans or anything. WBCN didn't play it regularly. But somehow my brain knew it.

And when the Camper Van Beethoven version came out, I knew it.

How? Well it certainly wasn't a lullaby. But certain songs imprint on your brain, don't they?


See the video on Youtube.


Hear the original on Youtube.


Hear the song on Youtube.

No comments:

Post a Comment