Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Tedeschi Trucks "Everybody's Talkin'"

I was playing the live, Tedeschi Trucks version of "Everybody's Talkin'" the other day, and I had this thought cross my mind:

There are lots of very popular songs that originated in films.  But I can only think of two that originated in Rated X films.

Harry Nilsson's "Everybody's Talkin'" comes from what is probably the most commercial popular Rated X film of all time, "Midnight Cowboy."  It was a huge hit, and even a casual music fan knows it.

I thought of one other.

I'm sure you could complete the hook if I said, "Mah na Mah na," right?  Your singing it right now?

Most people know the song from its use on Sesame Street and The Muppet Show.  But, unlike so many weird and beloved songs out of Jim Henson's workshop, it was not written by the Muppeteers.

It actually came from a 60s Italian "Mondo" film, "Sweden: Heaven And Hell."

Piero Umilani scored the film.  How the gentle folks of 123 Sesame Street came upon it, I care not to guess.

But that's all I could think of.

Any other ones?  Famous songs that originated in Rated X films?


See the "Sweden: Heaven And Hell" trailer on Youtube.


Hear Tedeschi Trucks "Everybody's Talkin'" on Youtube.


Hear Piero Umilani's "Mah Na Mah Na" on Youtube.


See the original Sesame Street version of "Mah Na Mah Ma" on Youtube.

No comments:

Post a Comment