Monday, May 13, 2013

Slaid Cleaves "Broke Down"

I don't know why I did this, maybe just a kid testing boundaries . . .

Back within my first couple of weeks on mvyradio, I was working hard to get up to speed on knowing some artists who'd never hit my radar.

I mean, I knew most of the folks on the playlist.  It's not like I was unfamiliar with Van Morrison or World Party.  But there were a few names, like Jon Poussette-Dart and Miriam Makeba, who were completely new to me.

There was a name on the playlist and I didn't recognize---Slaid Cleaves---and I wanted to make sure I pronounced it correctly.

But I don't know why I chose to ask the question to Barbara Dacey, thusly:

"Does his first name rhyme with 'plaid' or 'laid'?"

Due to the deadpan nature of my delivery, Barbara just looked at me, checking to see if I was screwing with her.

Unable to pin that down, she said, "Laid," and went back to doing whatever she'd been doing.

Why did I choose 'laid' instead of 'played' or 'afraid'?

Was I being a bit of a smartass?  Testing her boundries?  Having a little harmless fun?

In retrospect, I'm not 100% sure.  But it makes me smile every time I see Mr. Cleaves on the playlist.


Hear the song on Youtube.

No comments:

Post a Comment