Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Nickel Creek "The Lighthouse's Tale"

This week, I'm looking at artists that we came to play later in their career, asking the question "should we go back and play the band's earlier tracks?"

I can remember sometime around 2000, being in the mvyradio production room with Barbara. I'd been telling her about a band I'd seen at Merlefest the year before, that I thought might be a good fit for mvy.

Nickel Creek had just released their first major record, and I had had an early window into this band, as they had played the North Carolina festival as teenagers, wowing both the crowd and the older musicians with their progressive excellence.

"The Lighthouse's Tale" had even made a ripple on CMT, where the video was getting some play.

Barbara and I listened, and I can remember her comment: It was good, but it wasn't quite there.

Where was "There" I asked myself? And, truthfully, I still ask myself that question, most every day, about half the songs that cross my path.

If you were looking at baseball stats, you could easily quantify when something was "There."

(What's that? Pedro has thrown 110 pitches? Then for God's Sake, take him out of the game! He's There!)


But with art, you can't quantify things as easily.

It makes sense, of course. Some bands are strong enough, some songs are strong enough, that they deserve to get regular airplay. And some bands and songs are not strong enough.

But where is that line?

That's the "There" Barbara was talking about.

Nickel Creek's early, self-released albums probably weren't even close to being mature or strong enough for regular airplay. And Nickel Creek's second major release was strong enough---we did play "This Side."

But that first major release, well, it was close, but we didn't end up playing it, because it didn't quite cross that arbitrary line of "There."

So now it's many years later, and we've played a bunch of Nickel Creek songs in regular rotation. They have built up a reputation as a quality band. They have a fan base and a recognizable sound.

We could go back and add it to rotation. But should we?

Is there "There" there now?


See the video on Youtube.

1 comment:

  1. First, a bit of random trivia...

    Nickel Creek actually played a concert at the Firehouse in NBPT a few years ago.

    Sara Watkins is now a regular on A Prairie Home Companion, and most recently, was a touring member of the band (and a spot opener) on the Decemberists' most recent tour. I was lucky enough to see two-thirds of NC (Sara & her brother Sean) in Portland, ME.

    I agree that "This Side" was a much more accessible album than their prior releases. I don't know if it was as much a matter of maturity as it was the influence and steady hand of Allison Krauss, who produced that album. In any case, the results were impressive and infinitely enjoyable.

    What surprised me the most about the album (aside from that fact that here were three kids from San Diego playing bluegrass)was their gift for interpreting songs both old ("House Carpenter") and new (Pavement's "Spit on a Stranger").

    Touching on the subject of yesterday's post...

    I think it's great that the band has found new fans and a home in your station's rotation. I've wondered why a band like Mumford and Sons, which leans heavily on traditional instruments and folk sensibilities, was able to achieve mainstream success, while so many other bands (like Nickel Creek) get overlooked. Marketing? Timing? Who knows?

    I'm thankful for independent radio, and for the folks who channel their passion for music into their work, to the benefit of us all.

    Mike Cynewski

    ReplyDelete