Wednesday, August 31, 2011

David Bromberg "Sharon"

Billy Crystal, back during his 80s stand up days, had this joke about how he knew he was getting old when his daughter asked him if he knew that Paul McCartney was in a band before Wings.

Yeah, when you're born creates the context, doesn't it. And sometimes---I'll even say often, now that Rock N Roll has a multi-generational history---you are more likely to know the spawn than the originator.

One of my all-time favorite albums is "Paul's Boutique," a record that still stacks up to any full-length creation out there, but was even more-so stunningly dense in its day.

Created before the rules on sampling were altered (due to a lawsuit), the record simply couldn't be made these days, because of the many, many sources The Beastie Boys and their producers The Dust Brothers, sampled from.

Even back then, I could pick up a number of the samples, including The Beatles "The End" and "Those Shoes" by The Eagles, but most of the loops and snippets and riffs were unfamiliar to me. They just sounded cool.

What a remarkable delight it was, to find out a friend had created a playlist on Spotify encompassing most all the original tunes that were sampled on "Paul's Boutique." 70 songs and over 5 hours of listening!

I can't tell you how many times I've grooved along to "Johnny Ryall." But in the nearly 25 years I've known and heard the Beasties' song, not once had I ever heard the David Bromberg song that forms its basis, "Sharon."

When "Sharon" came out in the very early 70s, I was still a pup, and I guess it had disappeared from the airwaves by the time my 80s rock-radio-listening years happened.

Now I know you old Bromberg fans probably feel like you're reading a post from a guy who'd never heard about The Beatles . . . but it was a thrill for me to hear the riff, in its original state.


Hear the song on Youtube.


Hear the song on Youtube.

2 comments:

  1. http://open.spotify.com/user/deedeevongoon/playlist/0pphyCl6B9rQ2gbOUnHpAv

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw David Bromberg in Wilmington Delaware about a week after Adam Yauch had passed. David claimed the royalty check he received was the most money he ever made in music.

    ReplyDelete