Monday, August 8, 2011

Cracker "Teen Angst"

It's kind of weird to be getting to a place in my life where my relationship is changing, with songs I already know.

I mean, as I age, my relationship with new music has certainly changed.

Meaning, at 42, I am less likely to seek out punk rock and hard-edged and loud music, compared to my 25-year-old self.

That's only natural.

It's not that I don't like it. I'm just less likely to keep current, or to be having an after-midnight party that requires Rage Against The Machine to be played at full volume.

This comes as no surprise to me. I kinda expected such a thing to happen.

But what I haven't expected, is to find myself disconnected from music I once could connect with.

Case-in-point is this Cracker song.

I still love the energy and David Lowery's delivery.

But at 25, I had an appetite for irony.

Here at 42, though, I just don't have that ironic distance from life.

I don't know if it's marriage, or kids, or just getting older or more mature, but I find myself less distant from life, for better and for worse.

I hadn't really thought about my relationship with this song, like a relationship with a person, but I guess it is. Some friends go with you through the transition, and some, while you're happy to hear from them from time to time, don't go with you on your journey.


See the video on Youtube.

1 comment: