Friday, February 19, 2010

Ellis Paul “Jukebox On My Grave”

One cold February night, last year, my wife said, “Let’s make a list of our 20 favorite songs, and compare them.” She’s always doing stuff like that. She likes lists.

Unsuspecting soul that I am, I was completely unaware that she was looking for birthday ideas for me. Barbara Dacey had asked my wife to put together some songs suggestions. And at my surprise party in March, Barbara got up on stage with Johnny Hoy And The Bluefish, and sang 3 of my favorite songs.

Later in the year, my sister Amy, who’d been fighting cancer for nearly a decade, passed away. And my wife and I put together a slide show for the wake, with music behind it. Not having any guidance from Amy on the subject, we picked what songs we thought were appropriate.

But it did get me thinking . . . when I go, there are probably some songs I’d like played at my wake or my funeral. I’d better start compiling my list.

So I’m starting here, with Ellis Paul, since it seems to pretty much speak to my challenge. And from time to time, I’ll write here about songs that the executors of my will (and vast fortune) should know about.



No comments:

Post a Comment