Friday, August 30, 2013

The Hold Steady "Constructive Summer"

I've launched a variety of post features on this blog.

Some have been fruitful (Hello, "Let Me Ruin This Song For You"). 

Some have not (Goodbye "Random Ridiculous Songs That Have No Business Being Played In Public Again But I Heard In The Grocery Store Today").

I'm not sure how far I can go with this latest one, but, Ladies and Gentlemen, please welcome:

"Dismissive One Sentence Reviews By Friends."

Have you ever had a friend, co-worker, or family member say something critical of a song or band, and, from there forward, are never able to hear it/them, without hearing their slight?

My friend Martin has been good for several of these.

When I once suggested he listen to The Hold Steady, his two word review was "townie rock."

At first, I thought this was a shallow and dismissive view.

But upon further thought, it's actually a pretty succinct and accurate assessment. 

The Hold Steady's songs ARE pub ready.  And the characters in the lyrics ARE often like the guys and girls you went to high school with.

But where Martin was saying it as a slight, I think those characteristics are what I enjoy about The Hold Steady and songs like "Constructive Summer."


Hear the song on Youtube.

No comments:

Post a Comment