Monday, July 23, 2012

Van Halen "Hot For Teacher"

While I know that there are certainly people who regularly read this blog, I don't get too many posts or comments about it online.  Which is why the comments that are made, stand out.

My friend Scott and I have this running joke, where, if I blog about a song he will comment about it.  And it comment generally ends with ". . . and the girl in the band is HOT!"  Or, if there is no video, his evaluation of the song is qualified, with "Is she hot?"

Last week, Scott did my wife a kind favor.  He posted on his Facebook page, and his work's Facebook page, about my wife's new Art Workshops.

Of course, it was hugely appreciated.  But he couldn't resist baiting me . . .
Hey everyone, a friend of mine is giving private art lessons out of her recently renovated garage this summer (is the paint even dry?). She's super cool, wicked nice, extremely talented...and one other thing, what was it?...(help me out PJ Finn!) Check it out! http://www.facebook.com/theartshed
Okay, so how do you respond?

He's posting this to all his friends.  Most of whom, I don't know.

Do I sound like a douche, if I take the bait and say, "She's Hot!  My wife is Hot!"?

Then, thinking like a businessman, I wondered, if we're trying to promote Art Lessons would potential parents be turned off by the fact that we were promoting the teacher's hotness as a selling point?  It seemed unprofessional, and unseemly.

And then, my Father mode kicked in.  Did I really want to even think about the idea of pre-pubescent boys, oogling their art teacher, my wife?  Do I really want to encourage a "Stacy's Mom" thing?

Because here's the thing, I do think my wife is hot.  After all these years, and the kids, and the daily grind, I can still look at her and think that she's totally beautiful.  And I'm sure I always will.

(My very wise Aunt Peg told me that she and Uncle Joe still find each other attractive after 40-plus years of marriage, because their eyesight has failed in equal proportion.)

I thought about going for broke and responding to Scott by posting the "Hot For Teacher" video, and the thought of it made me laugh.

When this song came out 25 years ago, the Hot Teacher fantasy did run wild in my pre-pubescent brain.  And here I am all these years later, living with a totally hot teacher!

I kept looking at the thread below Scott's post, on and off for a good hour, before I finally settled on a comment that wasn't unprofessional, provocative, douche-y, and didn't miss the opportunity to tweak Scott back:
Does your wife read your posts?


Hear the song on Youtube.

No comments:

Post a Comment