Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Liz Phair "Dotted Line"

I can't think of another artist I have this issue with . . .

Liz Phair has done some work that I find exceptional.  And she has done some work that . . . well . . . I just can't make sense of.

Maybe its because she seemed to appear, via "Exile In Guyville" with a persona fully realized and in tact, that her subsequent  . . . uh, I'm not sure what to call them . . . reinventions?  Stabs at commercial viability?  Casting about for something that sticks? . . . whatever they were, they just didn't appeal to me, at all.

Because it hasn't seemed like she knows who she is, I don't know who she is.  And because I don't know who she is, I have a lack of trust in any of Liz Phair's new work.

Here's a new song that appears in the movie "People Like Us."

My first reaction upon seeing the CD come in was, "Ugh, a new Liz Phair tune?"

My reaction on listening was, "Hey, I think this is actually a pretty decent song."

My reaction on listening again was, "Is this a good song?"

That's the thing.  I feel like I can't trust my own judgement here.

Can you hear this song out of the context of all her previous work?  Is this a good song?


Hear the song on Youtube.

No comments:

Post a Comment