Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Bonnie Raitt “I Can’t Make You Love Me”

It’s pretty likely that if you have a relationship with this song, it’s because you went through a break-up, and you listened to it, over and over. And you go through the break-up again. Because the words really do ring true.

And yes, this song DOES remind me of an old girlfriend. But not OUR break-up.

When I graduated college, my at-the-time girlfriend and I decided we’d had enough of New England winters, so we packed up and headed to Florida. We were, as recent post-grads are, dead broke, but we had the invite to live with her sister, who was just a couple years older than we were.

While the three of us were living together, the sister went through a very, very sad break-up. I truly did feel bad for her.

But, Man, did she love that “Luck Of The Draw” Bonnie Raitt CD. And we heard “I Can’t Make You Love Me” over and over again.

And every time I hear it on mvyradio, I think of my at-the-time girlfriend. And I go through the break-up again. Just not our break-up.

Go through it with me, one more time!



See and hear the full song, done live with Bruce Hornsby, here.

No comments:

Post a Comment