Monday, December 14, 2009

3rd Bass “Pop Goes The Weasel”

Hitting Random on the iTunes list . . .

When you become a parent, you first find that there’s nothing like experiencing the joy of Christmas, through the eyes of a child. The wonder, the excitement, the magic.

However, shortly after becoming a parent, you realize that there is no magic, only Allen Wrenches.

It’s now become as traditional as watching “It’s A Wonderful Life” for my wife and I to be up late, on the nights leading up to Christmas, spread out on the living room floor trying to assemble some kind of Christmas present, sniping about who’s “doing it wrong.”

“That piece doesn’t fit there.” “You’ve got it upside-down.” “Did you read the f***ing directions!?!?”

I’m not a particularly handy husband, and my wife doesn’t have a lot of patience for manuals. When it comes to being Christmas Elves, we’re not a great team.

But in so many other ways, we ARE perfect match. Even when we are getting on each other’s nerves.

My wife, the artist, picked out a beautiful easel, as a gift for our daughter, to encourage the little artist inside our two-year old.

As we sat on the floor---my wife unscrewing Steps 4 through 6, because I’d skipped Step 3 and we had an extra piece floating around, me trying to separate two parts of a plastic bin that she’d jammed together---I started singing.

“Pop-pop goes the Easel, the Easel. Pop-pop goes the Easel, the Easel. Pop-pop goes the Easel, the Easel. Pop goes the Easel goes the Easel goes POP!”

I got the reaction I expected “Oh Gawd, you’re so annoying!”

But she laughed. And I laughed.

Tis the season to be jolly.


Don’t remember the 3rd Base song? Hear a sample:



And check out the old video, featuring Henry Rollins as Vanilla Ice!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hey PJ....I miss my days with Jake (nights, really) of putting things together for the big Christmas morning delight.....thanks for taking me down memory lane....

    ReplyDelete