Monday, February 3, 2014

Benjamin Gibbard "Teardrop Windows"

By gametime, I was freaking out a bit at my own shortsightedness.

Knowing that I'd be filling in for Barbara on The Lunch Hour on Monday, I wrote on the mvyradio Facebook page:

On Monday's Lunch Hour, we will feature songs about, and artists from, the winning #Superbowl team's home state. Suggestions for Colorado or Washington State artists and songs?

Seemed like a good idea at the time.  Until I tried Googling "Artist from Colorado."

Uh, the list is pretty slim.  Not a ton you can do, beyond John Denver.

Fortunately, that's not an issue, as Seattle ran away with the game and, finally, won their first Superbowl ever.


Loads to choose from, when it comes to Seattle, including Jimi Hendrix and Fleet Foxes and Brandi Carlile and The Head And The Heart.  But I did Google "Songs About Seattle" anyway.

"Teardrop Windows" is a song I've heard hundreds of times, but never fully realized it was about Seattle.  I mean, I guess I'd heard the reference to the Needle . . .

But on further research, it turns out the song is about The Smith Building, which was the tallest building on the West Coast, prior to the building of The Space Needle.

So while the Smith Building cries at being a forgotten Number 2, congratulations to Seattle for being a memorable Number 1.


(This video is funnier than most of the Superbowl commercials)


Hear the song on Youtube.

No comments:

Post a Comment