Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Smithereens "Sorry"

I got my first pair of size 9, low cut, white, Converse Chuck Taylor All Stars sometime around 7th grade, That was 30 years ago.

And much to fashion-distress of many of my friends and family, it is really the only brand and style of footwear I sport.

I get a new pair every year, never updating or changing with the times.

And a funny thing happens. Every few years they come back into style. Then they go out of style. In and out like the tides.

They're practically cooler when they are out of style. I'm so far behind, that I'm ahead.

Size 9, low cut, white, Converse Chuck Taylor All Stars---that was the first thing that popped into my mind when a new song by The Smithereens showed up.

Though the band has been plugging along for years, I associate The Smithereens with the late 80s and early 90s, their hey day.

But what made them stand out during their "hit" years was that they were making new music that recalled the classic pop/rock of the 60s.

Here in 2011, is there anybody doing this? It's actually refreshing to hear.

Are The Smithereens so far behind, they're ahead?



No comments:

Post a Comment