Monday, March 14, 2011

R.E.M. "Sidewinder Sleeps Tonight"

Over a couple of beers, I tried to explain "Interpolation" to two of my friends, to see if they could help me with a few examples that I could use on The Hot Seat.

Halfway through the conversation, I realized that, while I knew what it was when I heard it, I didn't have the language to properly explain it.

So maybe I should start there:

"Interpolation refers to using a melody, or portions of a melody (often with modified lyrics) from a previously recorded song, but replaying the melody instead of sampling it."

So samples don't count, because they use the original song. Just mentioning another song in the lyrics doesn't count. And we're not talking about a strict cover version either.

The best example I could come up with is "Sidewinder Sleeps Tonight," which uses the melody of "The Lion Sleeps Tonight," as part of the song. But it's not a cover or a reworking of "The Lion Sleeps Tonight." It's just got Michael Stipe singing that one part of the old song, incorporated into the new one.

Tonight I'm doing a Hot Seat on "Interpolation" and I'll be playing the original song, followed by a song that incorporates an element of the original tune. Hear it tonight at 9pm ET on the stream, or find it later in the archives.

And while I have your attention about this song, check out this old article about the origins of "The Lion Sleeps Tonight." When I originally read it years ago, I thought it was one of the most interesting pieces of Rock journalism I'd ever read.

You'll never hear that song the same way again.







No comments:

Post a Comment