Monday, January 11, 2010

Rodrigo Y Gabriela “Buster Voodoo”

One of those funny DJ challenges is what to do about foreign names. Do you translate them?

Rodrigo Y Gabriela is the name of the duo. But in one of the databases here at the station, someone changed their name to Rodrigo And Gabriela.

And that’s technically correct. I don’t make much sense to use the “Y” article, when you can just say “And.”

But then where do you draw the line?

Do you call them “The Lobos” instead of “Los Lobos”? Or just “The Wolves”? As in “You’re listening to mvyradio, and here are The Wolves singing that old Richie Valens song ‘The Bamba.’” (Okay, I don't know what a Bamba is)

And some DJs don’t get the translation stuff at all. It drives me absolutely crazy anytime I hear (and oh, yes, I’ve heard it many times) a DJ say, “Here’s a new song from The Los Lonely Boys,” which translates to “The The Lonely Boys.”

So please enjoy this sample of “Buster Voodoo” from The Rodrigo and Las Gabriela.



2 comments:

  1. I don't normally watch YouTube stuff, well, ok, the funny stuff I do, but this performance is amazing. I "play" guitar but I have spent my entire life being "satisfied" with strumming chords and singing along. These artists are amazing. Thanks for treating your listeners to this remarkable duo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are incredible love the spanish feel. Have you heard Matt Stevens - similar spanish feel www.mattstevensguitar.com - cool.

    ReplyDelete