Friday, January 29, 2010

The Beatles “A Day In The Life”

From time to time, I'm inviting other voices to contribute to Every Day I Write The Blog, to speak on their area of expertise. So without further ado, here's the All Time Top 5 Songs Mentioning Coffee, written by Guest Blogger Alex Scofield of Coffee Hero . . .

I began with the obvious (“Black Coffee in Bed” by Squeeze), so I’ll end with the dubious – or at least the ambiguous. Is a cup of coffee part of the working man’s daily ritual in this song?

Woke up, fell out of bed
Dragged a comb across my head
Found a way downstairs and drank a cup
And looking up, I noticed I was late

A cup of … what? All my life, I’ve assumed it was coffee, but upon further reflection, this is England, so we can’t dismiss the possibility that it’s tea.
But I’ll stick to my original assumption. All the working man’s daily rituals are here – the wakeup, the daily news, the commute, and the cup. I think it all requires more caffeine than a cup of coffee can deliver.

Post-Starbucks invasion (yes, there are quite a few in London, too), he might have drank the cup after making the bus in seconds flat … and he may never have gone into a dream. … Maybe it’s just as well that this day in the life unfolded exactly as it did.






Alex Scofield
is a freelance writer who lives in Bourne, Mass. He is a contributor to CoffeeHero.com

No comments:

Post a Comment