Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Bruce Springsteen "Darlington County"

I used to be this huge Simpsons geek.  Up to a certain point (through the first fifteen seasons or so) I had seen every episode.**

At the time it came out in 1997, "The City Of New York vs. Homer Simpson" was one of my least favorite episodes.  The plot involves Homer, his car ticketed and booted between the World Trade Towers, waiting for his car to be released by the police.   I remember thinking that a lot of the jokes were weak (though there is a really funny "crab juice" gag) and the target ("New York City sure is a rough, unfriendly place!") was a been-there-done-that concept.

After September 11th, 2001, when this episode comes on in syndication, I stop and watch.

Same thing if I happen to catch the opening "Working Girl," where they show the ferry going into the city.

I can't really explain why.  I had never, and have never, been to the World Trade Center.  I can't really tell you what I am looking for.

But its what keeps "Darlington County" in rotation on mvyradio, too.

It's a perfectly serviceable Bruce Springsteen song.  While it is funny and full of well-realized details, it probably doesn't even make the list of the top 40 Springsteen songs. 

But hearing him try to impress a couple of girls by saying "Our pas each own one of the world trade centers" for some reason makes me want to hold on to it.


Hear the song on Youtube.

**Once I got married and started having kids, my ability to be an episode completest was vastly diminished.

1 comment:

  1. I'll take a bowl of that! No bowl, just stick! I actually liked that episode. I too am a Simpsons geek but stop about season 12 or 13. I think I will watch that episode tonight on DVD. Thanks for reminder to remember!

    ReplyDelete