Monday, August 27, 2012

Carole King & Louise Goffin "Where You Lead"

The pressure was getting to me, because there was no way I was going to surprise her.

I mean, since we were using her Grandmother's diamond, she knew that she was getting a ring, and that it would be soon.

But when?

Ugh, every time I did anything, she'd get that expectant look on her face.  Like this could be the moment.

"Honey, can you come in the bathroom?"

"Yes?!?" she'd come running in, eyes wide.

"Uh, I just wanted you to look at this mole."

(Disappointment)

I'm a pretty creative guy, and I was wracking my brain trying to come up with a creative way to ask my girlfriend to marry me.

But the truth was, her radar was on such high alert, there was absolutely no way I could surprise her.

So, I decided I would take the "anti" approach to a proposal.

I put the ring in my pocket, and decided that I would simply ask her when the moment seemed right, whenever that was.

A few days later . . .

I had come home from work before she did, and decided that I'd just go for it.  She'd be home soon, and it wouldn't leave me too much time to work myself into full on nervousness.

Knowing that we'd be going out to dinner to celebrate, I took a shower and I shaved.  And waited.

I put on the TV to keep myself distracted.  A rerun of "The Gilmore Girls."

She came home a few minutes after that.

She was standing in the middle of the room, looking through the day's mail.  She looked at me, somewhat distracted by the pile of bills.

"Hey, you shaved.  I can see your face."

"Does it look good?"

"Huh?

"Is it a face you could look at for the rest of your life?"

Now she was looking up from the bills.  I was holding out the ring.

"You're doing this now?!?!"

She still gives me a hard time about the fact that instead of Chili Contest proposals, or a dramatic standing-on-a-cliff scene, or a full-on lip-dub performed by family and friends (see below), that instead when she thinks about the day a man asked for her hand in marriage, it was while she was looking at the cable bill as "The Gilmore Girls" played in the background.

She wanted unique.  Well, I'm betting no one else has a proposal story like that . . .

Happy Anniversary to us!


See the opening credits on Youtube.


Hear the full song on Youtube.


And speaking of Gilmore Girls, I also did not do a proposal like this.




See a much more elaborate wedding proposal on Youtube.

No comments:

Post a Comment