Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Andrew Bird "The Whistling Caruso"

It was my wife's birthday this weekend, and how psyched was I that her brother gave her "The Muppets" on DVD?

Answer: Very psyched.

I'm definitely a life-long fan of Sesame Street/The Muppets, and am also a big fan of actor Jason Segel, who stars in the film, and co-wrote it too. And many of the songs were written by Bret McKenzie of the band Flight Of The Conchords. AND the film is filled with don't-blink-or-you'll-miss-em cameos---there's Mickey Rooney! Was that Feist? Look at the drummer, it's Dave Grohl!

But the craziest little tidbit comes at the end of the film.

(SPOILER ALERT)

Young, nervous Muppet, Walter, finally gets the nerve up to perform on the Muppet Theater stage, and his performance is . . . whistling.

Which I thought was odd.

But then the song builds and the whistling becomes so amazing I said to myself, "I wonder if they're creating the whistling with some kind of synthesized instrument. Because the only person I know who could pull off a performance like that is Andrew Bird."

Guess what? I scanned the credits (mostly to see if Animal would appear, yelling "Go Home!"). It WAS Andrew Bird.

Yeah, yeah, you say. Big deal. Whistling. Anyone can whistle.

Take a look at your socks. Because in 60 seconds, you're going to have to search elsewhere for them, as they will have been knocked off.

Listen here:
The Whistling Caruso by Andrew Bird on Grooveshark

Walter, performing "The Whistling Caruso"


And I'd be remiss if I didn't point you to Bret McKenzie's Oscar winning tune "Man Or Muppet"

Hear it on Youtube.

Lots of great songs on this soundtrack . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment