Sunday, September 11, 2011

Joan Osborne "Love's In Need Of Love"

There were lots of musicians who responded to 9-11, with music. And I'm sure you are hearing a lot of that music today.

In thinking about what I wanted to post on this day, what mood or message I wanted to reflect, I landed here.

Though she was already working on the project before September 11th, 2001, Joan Osborne has said that her covers record, "How Sweet It Is," was her response to the events of that day, and it's aftermath.

It was her goal to make an album of songs that made her feel good.

I think it's a noble effort to write songs of remembrance, and to write songs that encourage sympathy for the victims, the families, the Ground Zero workers and for the Country.

But in the end, songs like the ones Osborne records are what music is for. It is here to lift spirits and to make us feel connected.

That is what I wanted from music, on this day 10 years ago. And on this day, today.


See the video on Youtube.

Today from 10am to noon, mvyradio will air a September 11th special, focusing on the music written about and inspired by that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment