Thursday, July 28, 2011

Dar Williams "I Saw A Bird Fly Away"

Being a performer must come with so many indignities . . . awkward fans, critical reviews, inattentive/indifferent audiences . . . maybe you just become inured to it.

I wondered that, when I saw Dar Williams reaction.

This was several years ago at a special mvyradio Anniversary party out at The Hot Tin Roof. We felt pretty lucky that Dar Williams accepted our invitation to play the celebration.

It was getting close to "doors open" time and I had wandered out to the front to see how big the line was getting.

As I approached, I could see the bouncer at the door starting to tense up and step to block the aisle as a woman was making her way past the line, headed straight into the club, undaunted.

You could tell from his body language that the bouncer, who was doing his job, was thinking, "Who the fuck does this lady think she is?"

And before he could get out his terse, "Excuse me, ma'am" I shouted from behind, (somewhat shrill-ly, I recall), "Shestheperformeritsokay!"

But that wasn't even necessary, because Dar Williams, who'd probably faced a thousand bouncers who'd not realized that she was the damn headliner did something that was actually quite impressive.

She simply said, "I'm Dar."

What was impressive, is how she said it.

She said it plainly. Calmly. Professionally.

She didn't have an ounce of indignity. Or diva-ness. Or condescension.

It was kind of masterful, the way she was firm, fair, un-flapped and clear.

And she didn't even break her stride.


Dar Williams performs at Newport Folk this weekend as part of the Song Circle will John Gorka, Ellis Paul and others. You can hear tracks from Dar on our Newport Folk Channel at mvyradio.


Hear the song on Youtube.

1 comment:

  1. I love this story. Is there a video of Saturday's song circle? It was wonderful. I was so appreciative that Dar, Ellis, and John honored the late Bill Morrissey, who is in the hearts of many. Can you remind me what song Dar played for Bill? And Ellis as well? Loved John Gorka's new one "Don't Judge a Life By How It Ends.". Thanks/

    ReplyDelete