Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Les Sampou "My My My"

Everybody and their cousin knows someone in a band.

And so everybody and their cousin wants to tell me about how AWESOME their friend/family member is, and how we should totally play them on mvyradio.

I try to be open-minded, but really, it's not like I'm going to hold off on that new Neil Young album, so we can start playing your uncle's accountant's babysitter's boyfriend's new Emo band.

So when my wife's cousin Jenny told me her neighbor was a really great musician, I gave my usual, "well, tell her to send me a CD," and I didn't think much of it.

At a few consecutive family gatherings, Jenny mentioned her cool neighbor, and how their kids played together by day, but the neighbor rocked shows at night.

It wasn't until a few repeat mentions, that Jenny actually said her name: Les Sampou.

Les has been making records in the Boston area for nearly 20 years. She's not your uncle's accountant's babysitter's boyfriend. She's the real rock n roller next door.



1 comment:

  1. Hey PJ....
    A few people sent me this blog link which I'll forward to Jen. Yes, our kids play together, and so do we--she and her hubby are hot tickets, not something you can say about every neighbor in the 'hood. I guess it comes down to who you know after all, since she got you to listen to the rocker-mom next door. :) Is MVY spinning it? Give my regards to Barbara D after all these years and let me know if you need any more copies of Lonesomeville.

    Thanks so much for the ink and hope to meet you some day soon....Les Sampou (the Girl Next Door)

    ReplyDelete