Thursday, September 2, 2010

Frank Black "Headache"

There are only so many ways you can introduce a song on the radio, but you do have to be careful.

You could say, "Here's Ben Harper, 'Burn One Down'" and there's no problem.

But use that same format (Artists, Song Title) for another song, and it just won't work:

"Here's Lyle Lovett. 'Why, I don't know.'"

"Why, I don't know" sounds like a blase commentary on what you're doing, when it's really the song title.

And this can be confusing for the listener.

Back when "Headache" came out (when I was hosting a Modern Rock show at my former radio gig), I would introduce this song with a Album Title, Artist, Song Title Format.

Which would work fine if I were saying:

"From 'Darkness On The Edge Of Town,' here's Bruce Springsteen with 'Candy's Room.'"

But it didn't work for the former-Pixies leader's new solo song, when I said:

"From 'The Teenager Of The Year' here's Frank Black with 'Headache.'"

I had more than a couple of listeners ask me how old Frank Black was, and how he could have possibly won such a title, even though he would have to be in his 30s.


Frank Black plays at the Wellfleet Beachcomber tonight.



No comments:

Post a Comment