Thursday, January 6, 2011

John Mellencamp "Save Some Time To Dream"

We live on an Island known for celebrity visits.

But the Vineyard is also known for not making a big f-n deal about celebrity visits, so you kind of forget that there could be some famous person within earshot.

Yesterday, the gossip blogs were all blaring "Meg Ryan quietly dating John Mellencamp" (yes, quietly, until now) and making mention of the fact that they were together on the Vineyard last week.

I'd kind of forgotten that Meg Ryan is here. She keeps a low profile. But I would be unlikely to mention her name on the air.

John Mellencamp however . . . well, he's someone I might say something about.

I'm kind of here and there about John Mellencamp. I have gone through periods of really liking him. Stretches of not being able to listen to a note. And miles and miles of ambivalence.

So how relieved was I, to flip back through my mental notes, and recall that the only time I mentioned Mellencamp last week, was in a warm way, saying something to the effect of "(his new song) 'Save Some Time To Dream' is the loveliest song he, or anyone, has put out in recent memory."

Despite my generally "Meh" feeling about his recent work, that tune actually struck a pleasant chord with me.

So I was pleased to think that on the off chance he and Meg were listening, 59 year old Mellencamp, known to be the feisty sort, would not have been motivated by a snippy comment on my part to drive down the dirt road and stomp my 17-years-younger ass.


And in all the gossip about the visit, here's the weirdest note: They may be working on a musical together!

Even better, maybe they can get some help from Lady Gaga!



No comments:

Post a Comment