Friday, February 1, 2013

Widespread Panic "The Ballad Of John & Yoko"

I learned two new fun terms from an old friend.

Facebook is great for that---catching up with people you haven't seen since high school.

You do a lot of "Here's what I've been up to, what have you been up to?" back and forth.

And, because of my job, the conversation often turns to music.

We were going back and forth about shows we had seen.  And, unlike 90% of the folks I talk to, he'd seen as many shows as or more shows than I have.

And then he bested me:

"Gonna' whip out the concert penis here . . ." and went on to talk about how many times he'd seen Widespread Panic.

I'd never heard the expression "Concert Penis" before, but I knew exactly what he meant.

There is that conversation that I've had a million times before, where someone tries to impress you with the size of their musical knowledge or experience.  And maybe you volley with, "Oh nice, you've seen them 9 times?  I saw them 20 times, including once in a small club."

That's whipping out your Concert Penis.

Particularly with jam bands, the number of times you've seen the band, and the earliest date of your first show, is currency within the fan base.

And he explained, that within the Widespread Panic world, they call it your "Panis."

That made me laugh out loud.

If only there were such thing as a Blog Penis, I could impress the ladies by saying that mine is 1155 posts long!


Hear the song on Youtube.

No comments:

Post a Comment