Monday, October 22, 2012

Danielia Cotton "Lighthouse Keeper"

When I'm not overscheduled, I can spend nice chunk of time listening to new music on the weekend.

Though we still get piles of CDs sent to the radio station, this exercise of reviewing the anywhere from 50 to 150 singles that are being pitched to me on any given week, happens on my laptop.

For financial and environmental reasons, many music labels have stopped sending promotional singles, and now just send MP3s.  Many other labels do both.

So it's pretty standard, as the week goes by, for me to a) click on a link that I get from a label, via email, and download a song, and b) dig into the mailbox and grab a stack of CDs that I should check out, and put those songs on my laptop.

In both cases, I may not even listen to the song while I'm doing this.

I had a fleeting thought when I was absently downloading this Danielia Cotton song, while on the phone with the label person who was telling me to check it out:  "I wonder if this is 'Lighthouse Keeper'?  Naaah, probably just a song with the same name."

When I do music listening, many times, I'll minimize the iTunes window, so I don't know what song and artist is next.  Not knowing what song is starting, is an effective way to really judge if the song sounds like an mvyradio song and if it grabs attention quickly, without interference from my prejudice (if I think I already do or do not like the artist).

When the opening riff of this track started, my jaw literally dropped open.

I couldn't believe that someone had plucked this awesome, forgotten about, 15 year old nugget from obscurity, to give it another shot.  I was so excited.

(I've since learned that the producer of Cotton's new album is none other than Kevin Salem---so it all makes sense)

I'm not sure if Danielia Cotton's voice is right for mvyradio, but I bet she is a helluva live performer.  Mostly, I'm just glad that people will get another chance to hear this song, and maybe even check out the original.


Lighthouse Keeper by Danielia Cotton on Grooveshark

No comments:

Post a Comment