Tuesday, May 17, 2011

They Might Be Giants "Put Your Hand Inside The Puppet Head"

It’s fun living with an artist. You never know what you might come home to.

Last week, I came home to puppets!

The puppet bonanza actually started with me.

As one of my many Dad-Is-In-Charge-Because-Mom-Is-At-Work timekillers/distractions, I will sometimes put socks on my 3 year old’s hands and tell her to do a puppet show.

Lots of time is spent finding a stage (usually the baby gate), a curtain (baby blanket) and a few choice props to interact with.

My daughter doesn’t really get that she can give the puppet a voice, I usually get a mimed Yes or No to my questions directed at the puppet.

My Mother-In-Law, encouraging creativity, got us a puppet making kit for Christmas . . . and while it was a neat idea, I’m not as crafty as I’d like to think I am. The glued on bits of felt all fell off within a day or so.

But this Spring, somewhat out of nowhere, my Art Teacher/Artist wife decided that she wants to learn how to sew.

My Mom lent her a sewing machine, gave her a few simple instructions, and let her go to town. And when I came home last week, Voila! Puppets!

I wanted to make a video to show off the puppet, but I had to corral the squirmy one year old, so he’s on my lap, while the 3 year old explains details about the creation.

You’ll see the baby reach out for the puppet, and I immediately thought of this song, wanting to say:

DON’T TOUCH THE PUPPET HEAD! QUIT IT!!!


See the video on Youtube.


See the video on Youtube.

No comments:

Post a Comment