Friday, May 20, 2011

Bob Dylan "Lay Lady Lay"

It must've been one of the strangest double bills Bob Dylan had ever been on.

It was a late 80s Spring Concert at UMass Amherst, where they always booked several bands---a little something for everybody. So you often go a big name act, a rapper, an alternative outfit and a folkie. Or something like that.

(To my mother's delight, they always held the show on Mother's Day, and me and my sister always opted to be concert-goers instead of gracious children)

This particular year, the headliners were Bob Dylan and De La Soul.

I was a HUGE De La Soul fan at the time. "3 Feet High And Rising" is still one of my favorite albums. So I was front and center for them.

And I was curious to hear Bob Dylan. I knew a bunch of his songs, and I knew he was a legend and all, but I was still years away from any kind of "Dylan Phase."

I was going to have to sit through Dylan, it turned out. De La Soul was scheduled to be the second-to-last act of the day, just before Dylan, but word was being passed that De La's tour bus had been delayed, so Dylan would go on first.

Again, I knew a few Dylan songs, and I know it sounds cliche to say this, but I swear to you, I have no idea what Mr. Dylan said over the course of the next hour. I managed to make out that he was singing "Lay Lady Lay," by virtue of the word of the chorus, but the melody and tempo were virtually unrecognizable.

Dylan wrapped up his set, and I got ready to bounce to De La Soul.

Unfortunately, the MC announced that De La Soul had been detained by the State Police, on suspicion of transporting drugs on their tour bus.

But Mr. Dylan has graciously offered to play an extra long set.

And with that, Dylan came out and said the only recognizable words of the day:

"Zaazz zu zaaaa, Mother's Day!"

Okay, only some of the words were recognizable. But we appreciated his gracious effort!


The station has two Bob Dylan Channels up for his 70th birthday. One is all Dylan songs, and the other is all Dylan covers. And we're asking for your votes, to help put together the Top 70 Bob Dylan songs. Find it all on our website.


See the video on Youtube.

1 comment:

  1. A bit belated, but I was at this show as well. I actually thought Bob did a hell of a job in comparison to a few previous occasions on which I'd seen him. I, too, was really disappointed to miss De La Soul, but the show was still a lot of fun with a great vibe. Remember the velvet Elvis behind Dylan on the stage? :) Great post, and thanks!

    ReplyDelete