Friday, January 14, 2011

Court Yard Hounds "See You In The Spring"

When people (who don't live on Martha's Vineyard) think about romance on Martha's Vineyard, I'm sure the phrase "Summer Fling" comes to mind.

But if you're here year-round, and you're single, there is a flip-side to the Summer Fling.

In August, the number of people on the Island stretches well pass 100,000. Dating choices are many. Good looking people are tan and on the beach and full of summer energy.

But by the end of November, the Summer People are gone, the Seasonal folks have left, and even the many young, single Europeans and South Americans working in the hotels and restaurants have had their work Visas run out.

There are about 15,000 folks left, and if you're not dating somebody by December, it's pretty likely that your long, cold, lonely winter is going to extend well into April, if not longer.

When I moved here in October 2000, it was all new to me.

Despite all odds, I did manage to meet a girl I liked.

She was interested, no doubt, but she was hesitant.

She'd started dating a guy near the end of that summer. But when mid-October came, he left the Vineyard, to go work someplace warmer for the next 6 months.

They had agreed: "See you in the Spring." They'd pick up where they'd left off, when he returned to the Island.

At the time, I probably thought it was my natural charm and charisma that won her over. She sent a note to the Summer boyfriend, letting him know that she was going to date me.

And she and I both thought she was just kidding when she decided we should give it a go, by saying: "You'll do, for the Off Season."

Are you surprised that the coda to this story is that Summer boyfriend returned in April, and Off Season boyfriend (me) was cut loose? No, you're not surprised if you've spent a Winter here . . .

Most of the time, if I identify with a lyric and it winds up on the Blog, it's because I feel relate to the protagonist. But in the case of "See You In The Spring," the girl and the Summer boyfriend are the protagonists, and I'm just the trouble in their relationship.

In retrospect, it's kind of a fun role to play.



No comments:

Post a Comment