Thursday, May 7, 2009

Juliana Hatfield "Fleur De Lys"

It's funny, you take some of Juliana Hatfield's work out of context and you'd be tempted to dismiss it a cock-rock, which is SO not Juliana Hatfield. If Spinal Tap is 11, the power chords here are up to at least a 9, for lumbering rock riffs. This track is followed on the "Only Everything" album by "Universal Heartbeat" which starts with this wild drum fill, which made it a great on-air segue out of some of the heavy Rage Against The Machine songs of the same mid-90s period.

But when you think about Juliana Hatfield, and even if you listen to THESE songs, if you can listen and tune out the music, she's generally just so sweet and thoughtful and fragile in places. Does it work? I dunno. I guess it does, in that, this album reminds me of being in my mid to late 20s, when I was listening to punk rock and Rage Against The Machine, but was probably at my most fragile and thoughtful.

Hear "Fleur De Lys"

Hear "Universal Heartbeat"

No comments:

Post a Comment