Friday, May 8, 2009

Bacon Brothers "Go My Way"

There are certainly a lot of songs that are still on my hard drive because they were sent to the radio station, and I promised to give them a fair listen. I mean, I go through the list every once and a while and delete things that I know I'll never listen to.

So why is this on my computer, I ask myself? Did I forget to delete it, or did I leave it on there just in case someone said "Hey I hear Kevin Bacon and his brother have a band and I wonder what they sound like"? There ARE songs on the laptop that are still there for Show & Tell, if not for regular listening.

When a record company or promo person, especially one that I have a relationship with (meaning we talk by phone on a regular basis), and especially especially if they have a decent track record of working good records, asks me to listen to something, I always try to do it as a courtesy. Listen to it, offer some feedback, even if the feedback is "there is no chance of us playing this."

And I do feel like artists who have some success in one medium don't always get fair consideration when they venture into another medium. Just because Kevin Bacon is a good actor, doesn't mean his music can't be good too.

So I listened, pretending I put a disc in the player without reading the label, to try to give it an unbiased evaluation.

And man, it's just not that good. Or rather, it's just not that special. If I walked into the coffee shop, and two guys were strumming this song . . . sure, I'd go, "Hey this is pretty good for a couple of local guys." But c'mon, if we didn't know him from the movies, would this have ever ended up on my "Songs For Airplay Consideration" iTunes list?

So why is it still on my computer?


Listen To The Bacon Brothers Here

No comments:

Post a Comment