Thursday, July 28, 2011

David Rawlings Machine "Bells Of Harlem"

Gillian Welch once addressed the issue of the fact that she was usually billed as "Gillian Welch" though she invariably plays with David Rawlings.

Basically she said that the two of them played in a band, and the band's name is "Gillian Welch."

This causes some awkwardness for DJs like me.

A couple of years back, Gillian and David were both on the bill for Newport Folk.

Gillian Welch was on the schedule for Saturday.

David Rawlings was on the schedule for Sunday.

I watched the "Gillian" set, and yes, it featured Gillian and David. That was in preparation for the next day.

I had been asked to introduce the David Rawlings set.

At this point in their career, I don't know that David had ever been on a major bill. So no one was sure what a set by "David Rawlings" would be. Him by himself? A full band?

Moments before I was to go on stage and do the introduction, I was button-holed by the stage manager.

He impressed upon me, multiple times, in no uncertain terms, that I was to introduce the artist as "David Rawlings" and nothing else. This was the artist's request. Introduce him as "David Rawlings." Get it? "David Rawlings." Are we clear?

Yes, I was a clear.

So I got up on stage and I did what I was asked to do. I did my mvyradio pre-amble, promoting the station, and then I said:

"Ladies and Gentlemen, David Rawlings!"

And out of the backstage area, comes David Rawlings. And Gillian Welch.

" . . . Gillian's here too . . ." David told the crowd.

I don't think he meant to say that I forgot her, but I think it might've come off that way to an audience not aware of the whole band name game.

Well, it wasn't the worst intro moment I've ever had. But it was a bit awkward.


Hear the song on Youtube.

Check out mvyradio's Newport Folk coverage, including a live performance from Gillian and David at 4:45pm on Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment