Friday, November 2, 2012

The Mountain Goats "Cry For Judas"

My friend Ross turned me on to this band---how had I never listened to Mountain Goats?  He/They have been making records since the mid-90s and somehow I’ve never crossed paths with them.

Now that November has arrived, this is the time of year that I love discovering records.  New releases grind to a halt, and so it’s an opportunity to either a) go back and relisten to records from earlier in the year that we might have missed or b) go out on a limb and play an artist that might stretch the boundaries of the mvyradio “sound.”

The danger, as a programmer, with taking a header, is that you tend to lean on your personal tastes.  Which, when I’m being objective, is something I try to avoid.

That’s a good time to turn outward and ask for advice.

I love this song.  But does it sound like an mvy song to you?


One of the things I love about this track, is that despite a series of memorable and provocative lyrics (“Mistreat your altar boys long enough, and this is what you get”) I have no idea what the track is about.  The even more provocative video doesn’t clarify anything, just adds to the mystery . . .


Hear the song on Youtube.

No comments:

Post a Comment