Thursday, May 3, 2012

Jale "Despite"

Following up on yesterday's post . . .

The opening band that night was a Canadian 4-piece on the same label as the Scud Mountain Boys.

Jale had had a lot of success in their native land, and they were receiving great reviews here in the States for their jangly, tuneful indie-pop.

I was early to the show, hanging around the bar with a lot of time to kill, so I made sure brought along my copy of their CD "So Wound," and a sharpie.

I'd never been an autograph seeker, but it seemed like a neat thing to do, to get the 4 members to sign my disc and then bring it back to play on my radio show.

I approached Jennifer first.  She had a serious air about her, but brightened visibly when I started talking about the album artwork and photography, which I gathered she had a hand in.

Then she got serious again.

"Did you buy this CD today?"

I was a little embarrassed.  I stammered out that no, I didn't buy it.  I was in radio and I got it for free.

Eve, one of the guitar players was pleasant and answered some lyric questions I'd tossed out, but she was on her way to do backstage.

Laura was friendly enough to sit down in a booth with me and chat for a minute while she signed my disc.  But after a few questions, she asked the same thing that Jennifer asked, looking over my shoulder toward the merch table, which wasn't even set up yet.

"Did you just buy this?"

I felt weirdly guilty.  No, I didn't buy it.  I was totally riding free.  I was a leech-y, industry-type who'd got himself guest-listed and now had a free CD I was looking to get signed.

But my "no" was enough for her.  She smiled and excused herself with the very awesome line, "Well, nice talking to you, but I gotta go get glamorous."

Mike, the drummer was the last one to nab.  He'd recently joined the band and seemed kind of eager to chat about it.

I had lots of questions about Sub Pop and life on tour and he was pretty open.

The band was pretty disappointed with the support they were getting from the label.  And looking around the bar, it was hard to argue with that.  Up-and-coming Sub Pop band, with critical steam behind them, visits a major college/music town, and there's only 30 people there?

He talked about how the band was doing very well in Canada, coming from a vibrant Halifax scene, where they were selling out larger venues to enthusiastic audiences.  By contrast, this American tour had been a slog, almost feeling like a back-step, to thinner crowds and a fair amount of indifference.

He was doing his best to be the band's cheerleader, to keep his bandmates' spirits up, despite the demoralizing aspects of being an unknown band making its way across the USA.

And that's when it struck me.  They weren't asking about my CD because they noticed the notch on the bar code that pegged it as a freebie.

They were simply surprised to meet someone who had been listening to their record and came to the show with a knowledge of who they were.

This theory bore out later in the night as Jale played.

Each of the three women in the band wrote and sang and did quite a bit of harmonizing.  But Mike's voice did appear on one of the album's tracks, late in the record, called "Despite."

It's a "conversation" song that Jennifer sang, with Mike coming in after the first verse as the male response to the female narrator.

Because the show was sparsely attended, I was standing pretty close to the stage.  And when Jennifer started singing "Despite" I realized she was directly between me and Mike.  So when his first line came up, I leaned to the right, to look around her.

But he wasn't singing.  In fact, he wasn't even miked.

I looked back at Jennifer, who was singing Mike's lines, lowering her voice for the male parts.

Because I was right in front of her, she had noticed that I was looking for Mike to sing, and she cracked a smile, breaking, for a second, from the downbeat emotion of the song.

It was a sweet little moment.



Hear the song on Youtube.

The single from "So Wound" is one of my favorite pop songs of the 90s.

Hear the song on Youtube.

No comments:

Post a Comment