Monday, June 13, 2011

Van Morrison "Have I Told You Lately"

At its core, the station I work for is a singer-songwriter station. We play lots of different kids of music---we're fairly eclectic---but the home-base sound is made by people who are writers first.

Because we're talking about some of the great songwriters (Bob Dylan, Joni Mitchell, Neil Young), it stands to reason that even people who don't listen to mvyradio, know many of the songs we play, because more commercial artists make mainstream versions of their songs.

And here is another place where I need to check my snobbery.

The folks had a big Anniversary coming up, and my Dad (the closet romantic) wanted to take my Mom out on a special date. And to make the scene complete, he wanted me to get a song and put it on cassette for him (cassette! how quaint!), so when the car started up, so would the song.

"Peej, can you get me that Rod Stewart song?"

"Which one?"

"Have I Told You Lately That I Love You?"

"You mean the Van Morrison song?"

"No . . . no, the one by Rod Stewart."

"But the one that Van Morrison did. That one?"

"Oh, I don't know. I'm pretty sure it's a Rod Stewart song."

In my mind, Jack Black appears, for just a moment. Then I dismiss him.

"Yeah, the Rod Stewart song? I'll get that on cassette for you."

My anniversary gift to you, was to not act like an unctuous ass.


See the video on Youtube.


See the video on Youtube.


See the video on Youtube.

No comments:

Post a Comment