Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Cowboy Junkies "Flirted With You All My Life"

I've blogged before about the dangers of being The Man Who Knew Too Much.

Knowing some background about a song or artist can help, but sometimes it can hurt.

I think the Cowboy Junkies have done the world a tremendous service with their album "Demons." It's a collection of songs written by their late friend Vic Chesnutt.

Despite the excellent readings of these songs, it's just a little too heart-wrenching to hear them sing "Flirted With You All My Life."

This was a track from one of Chesnutt's final records. The "You" in the song is suicide. He sang openly about his lifelong flirtation with suicide. But he sung it in such a way that it made you feel like he had moved on, that he was alright.

Having the Cowboy Junkies take on that song, knowing Vic took his own life, just makes me sad that this was something he couldn't overcome.

That he lost. And we lost.


3 comments:

  1. where might one find the lyrics?

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://lyrics.wikia.com/Vic_Chesnutt:Flirted_With_You_All_My_Life

    ReplyDelete
  3. for the entire "Demons Vol. 2", the lyrics...

    ReplyDelete