Friday, July 23, 2010

Guster “Do You Love Me”

I’m sure your wedding day was lovely. A most memorable event.

Did you have it in a church? We did not.

Did you have a traditional ceremony? We didn’t do that either.

Did church bells ring out when you said I do? Nope, not on the beach they didn’t.

And yet, I’m filled with some sort of matrimonial nostalgia, when I hear church bells.

I blame Phil Spector.

It’s was such a genius move (and he was a genius) to think of wedding bells as an instrument in his wall of sound, in tracks like “I Hear A Symphony.” Because not only was it a unique, uncommon sound for a pop song, it was a sound that had the ability to connect directly to an emotional memory that so many folks carry.

Guster gets the benefit, double-time.

Their new song “Do You Love Me” is delightfully poppy, but when I first heard it, and the wedding bells kicked in, it tapped into both my love of our wedding day, and my love of those great old Wall Of Sound songs. It filled me with a nice warm feeling.

Genius move, Guster.

No comments:

Post a Comment