Monday, August 31, 2009

Amy Rigby “20 Questions”

This entry represents my biggest professional failure. It’s almost hard to look at. I feel like Charlie Brown, my eyes going between the Football and Lucy, the Football and Lucy. Should I really try this again?

I think “Diary Of A Mod Housewife” is one of the best singer-songwriter semi-concept records ever made.

It comes from a brilliant place. Amy Rigby played in bands on the indie music circuit in the 80s and early 90s. What becomes of a 30-something rock-n-roller? These are the songs she wrote. About being a wife, and a working stiff, being too old to be naïve and starry-eyed, but too young to be cynical and pragmatic. The collection of tunes paints such a vivid portrait of a certain person in a certain place in life.

And the music slips in and out of pop and country and rock to give the album more diversity, tempo and dynamic than your average singer-strummer.

It is the only album I’ve ever owned spare copies of, to give to worthy friends.

And it is my failure as a DJ, as a man who’s vocation it is to turn folks on to good tunes, that I haven’t gotten a single person to love this record.

Sure, I’ve met people who are fans of this album. But not once have I given a copy of this disc to someone, and had them come back and say “Great record!”

Jess, overnight DJ at mvy, was the last person I shared “Diary” with. The next day, she just made a sour face and said, “I didn’t even make it through 3 songs.”

I know I’m not wrong about this record. The year it came out, Spin voted Rigby “Songwriter Of The Year.” Robert Christgau praised the record. It’s listed in Tom Moon’s “1,000 Recordings to Hear Before You Die.” So I’m not nuts.

Just unsuccessful at convincing others.

But I’m willing to try this one more time.

Hear Amy Rigby “20 Questions”

1 comment: