Friday, July 3, 2009

Bell X1 "Eve The Apple Of My Eye"

From their 2004 record, while the band was still finding their footing . . .

I think about how long it took for me and my wife to decide what to name our baby. My wife literally read aloud every single name in a book of 10,000 suggestions, to see what each would sound like. Months of lists, and secret ballots, and haggling, and the poor little thing came into the bright light, still without a name.

And we don't even have to put her name up on a marquee.

I'm sure Bell X1 spend plenty of time coming up with the right name for them. A band named after the first aircraft to break the sound barrier? Brilliant choice!

But when you pick a band name, it can't just be a cool concept, it's got to work when it's written and when it's read. And Bell X1 is prone to a few gaffes. Some people say "Bell Eleven"---because the X1 looks like Roman numerals. And some pronounce it "Bell Ecks Eye---because the one looks like a capital "i".

There was this local band where I lived in Virginia called "Toast." It didn't take them long to figure out that it looked pretty stupid, and not really clear, on a marquee, if it read "Toast Tonight, $5." They changed their name to "The Toast Band." I'm not sure that helped.

So think about it. That's how we managed to NOT name our daughter Ellie Finn.

Hear Bell X1 "Eve The Apple Of My Eye"

No comments:

Post a Comment